Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Eyes Have It

Is there a certain part of your features that you like to play up?  I like to make sure my eyes are done properly before I go out.  It's amazing to me how a bit of concealer, mascara, liner, and shadow can make a huge difference to my appearance.  I don't wear much makeup, but I get a little obsessive about my eyes.

For a long time I only ever wore brown mascara.  Somebody told me that people with my coloring shouldn't ever wear black because it was too harsh.  But I bought some black mascara once because it was all they had at the makeup counter, and I was too impatient to wait or to go home and order some online.  And, as it turns out, what they say about black mascara being a staple is true.  It doesn't look too harsh, I think.  It really makes my eyes pop.  I will say that, if I didn't want to look too sultry, I might go with my old brown color, but these days I really like the contrast of dark black lashes against the color of my eyes.  (Blue-green.)

I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to brands, though.  I don't buy the most expensive (though I keep wanting to try a high-end brand, just for fun, but not until I'm out of debt), but I definitely don't go any lower than Clinique.  I have used Almay in a pinch, and I'd say it's the best drugstore brand I've found.  My eyes are really sensitive, and it doesn't make them itch, water, or burn.  Clinique's Naturally Glossy mascara is my favorite everyday brand, though. The lash-doubling stuff is good, too.  Anything that thickens is fine by me.  My nervous habit is picking at my eyelashes, so they can get thin.  Though wearing mascara keeps me from doing that, which is another reason I'll take the time, even on hectic mornings, to make up my eyes.

I also wear reading glasses while I sit at my desk and work, and I think us ladies who wear frames more often than not have an advantage when it comes to our eye makeup.  It's like we walk around wearing picture frames around our peepers all day, right?  I thought glasses would hamper my makeup look, but, if anything, it's enhanced it.  I feel like I use liner and mascara differently now; it's definitely more dramatic.

One thing I'm kind of chicken about, though, is color.  I see some neat looks on Pinterest and some of my favorite fashion blogs, but I think I'd feel way too conspicuous walking around with green or blue or orange eye shadow.  I tend to wear taupe, light pink, smokey gray-browns, and chocolate browns.  Sometimes I'll add gold or an off-white in the inner corners.  Pretty boring, right?  I feel like I've outgrown crazy makeup looks, though.  Maybe if I have a daughter someday I can live vicariously through her cute makeup and fashions.  (Which reminds me, I hope she is into genuinely cute stuff, not club-"cute" stuff.  I know this will make me sound a million years old, but THE THINGS GIRLS WEAR THESE DAYS!)

In other news, I just started delving into Netflix on That Guy's PlayStation 3.  I realize I'm out of the loop here, but DOWNTON ABBEY!  YAY!  I've only seen the first season, but I adored it.  I know some pretty major things happened in episode one of the latest season, but I don't mind knowing.  I still want to catch up.  Besides, half the fun is seeing all the clothes.  :D

I remember watching Upstairs/Downstairs when I was a kid on PBS.  We didn't have cable for a long time when I was growing up, so I have many fond memories of PBS shows.  It's funny now, because it makes people think I'm cultured or something.  Sometimes I don't like to disabuse them of this notion by telling them my family was just really broke. *L*  I'm not complaining, though.

Well, to my Netflix.  Later, gators.

No comments:

Post a Comment